NEW STORY "EATIN' PUSSY" PUBLISHED BY ANXIETY PRESS

Friday 4 August 2023 / Leave a Comment

 


Neil Randall is delighted to announce that his brand-new short story “Eatin’ Pussy” has been published by Anxiety Press. The tale of two very different brothers – one a classically trained pianist who never quite fulfils his potential, the other a never-do-well lay-about who lands a role in a cult film and becomes a household name – the story examines the meaning of success, contentment, achievement, the things in life that can make a person truly happy, and the cruel reality of knowing that even if you work as hard as you can possibly work, even if you dedicate yourself to something, be it an artform, a career, even a relationship with someone you truly adore, there’s no guarantee that you will succeed or get what you deserve in the end.

     Perhaps, therefore, the story is more an examination of failure, how the vast majority of people conduct their everyday lives with the dark cloud of personal defeat hanging over them at all times.

    

To give you a feel for the story, here are the opening pages:

 

In the early 1980s, or hate-ies as I like to call them, my brother Miles landed a small part in what would become a hugely successful cult movie. His role, that of an arresting police officer interrogating a suspect, consisted of only nine words.

      “Where’d you get that scar, tough guy? Eatin’ pussy?”

      Inexplicably, that section of dialogue and what amounted to around fifteen seconds of screen time would provide him with a comfortable existence for the rest of his life. He never had to find himself a regular job. He never had to struggle to make ends meet. How remains a mystery to me to this day. But perhaps the reason why is an even more perplexing proposition, one I’ve been wrestling with for years.

     Twelve years Miles’ senior, I felt an acute sense of shock when our parents sat me down one day and explained that I would soon have a little brother or sister to play with. Having been perfectly content with the family dynamic up to that point in time, I saw no reason why my mother and father would want to upset our peaceful domestic routine with another child. More to the point, I was considered somewhat of a prodigy back then, a gifted piano virtuoso. Much of my time – and by extension, my parents’ time – was spent either travelling to and from music lessons, or playing the piano itself, at intimate gatherings (i.e. for my mother and father’s exclusive delectation) or modest performances in the local area. I just couldn’t see how we could possibly accommodate another hugely demanding human presence into our busy schedule.

      “Don’t worry, Nicholas,” said my mother, as if sensing my disgruntlement. “Everything will work out just fine. And while father and I will have to spend a lot of time with the new baby, it doesn’t mean that we love you any less.”

     Worthy sentiments, but actions are so much more important than words.

     Vividly, I remember seeing my little brother for the first time at the hospital. Grotesquely fat, the wriggling ball of pinkish flesh in my mother’s arms did little during what constituted the first twelve to eighteen months of its existence other than gorge itself on the copious amounts of milk in her swollen breasts. Not only did the new arrival cause all kinds of unwanted distractions in my life, he transformed my once pretty and petite mother into a bloated whale of a woman who failed to recover her slender, attractive figure, no matter what lengths she went to with different and innovative dieting regimes. Never again would she wear stylish cocktail dresses to one of my recitals, rather hessian-sack like sartorial disasters which were a source of great embarrassment to everyone concerned.

     But I digress.

     I won’t bore you with a classic tale of sibling rivalry. How the older child was jealous of the attention his parents bestowed upon the baby of the family. Then and now, I consider myself above such primitive emotions. I simply accepted our much-changed circumstances and continued to dedicate myself to the pursuit of artistic excellence. I ignored, if not completely drowned out the new baby’s crying fits. I banished the smell of soiled diapers from both my mind and airwaves, through intense piano work and the lighting of endless incense sticks throughout the home. If I was ever encouraged to interact with the infant myself, I would dutifully fulfil my brotherly role and play with the baby or pose for family photographs.

     Besides, great changes were on my own personal horizon. Namely, I was offered a place at the world-famous Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland. With enduring pride, I remember my high school principal inviting me to his office to discuss a ‘matter of utmost importance’.

     “You’ve been presented with an incredible opportunity, Nicholas. Not many young people from Hoboken are invited to attend one of the finest conservatories in the world.”

      Hence, I was absent for much, if not all of Miles’ formative years. Bar standard visits home during the holiday periods: Christmas (always), Thanksgiving (every other year), Summer (never, due to the cultural delights of Europe and a punishing musical schedule), I only saw my brother from around the age of four or five to his early twenties on a dozen or so occasions. That’s not to say I didn’t get regular updates from my parents. In heartfelt letters or tearful long-distance phone calls, they spoke of a lazy, unruly child constantly in trouble at school or with the police in the local area. They told wild, fantastical, almost unbelievable tales of my brother’s antics. The kind of teenager into everything before it was fashionable, he drank alcohol and smoked illicit substances, shoplifted and handled stolen goods (on more than one occasion, the high school principal caught him in the act of selling car radios or cartons of cigarettes to his fellow students), he somehow contrived to lose his virginity at the age of thirteen and faced paternity tests regarding the fatherhood of two babies (both of which proved thankfully inconclusive), and spent nine weeks in a juvenile detention centre for stealing a car and driving some friends to Miami for spring break.

     But what perhaps distressed my parents more than any of the above was their second child’s innate indolence, his lack of drive and purpose in life.

     “We’re at our wit’s end,” said my mother, during one of her weekly telephone rants. “We simply don’t know what to do with Miles anymore. We can’t understand why he’s so different to you. Since the day you were born, you were such a bright, inquisitive child. Once you discovered your musical gift, there was no looking back. You dedicated every free moment to the piano. Even though Miles has been given the same opportunities and encouragement you had – we’ve paid for music lessons, sports classes, out of school initiatives – he just can’t seem to stick at anything for more than five minutes. He’s perfectly content to sit in his bedroom all day, play computer games, and smoke those funny cigarettes of his.”

      I didn’t really know what to say to reassure my parents, other than reel off standard cliches about the teenage years being difficult and it just being a phase Miles was going through. To be perfectly honest, there was far too much going on in my own life at the time for me to show much interest or genuine sympathy. Consequently, I never really, truly understood the depth of the problem.

 

If you like what you’ve read so far, you can read the full story on the Anxiety Press website.

 

And if you liked “Eatin’ Pussy”, why not check out my published works on Amazon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top