NEW COVER ART FOR FORTHCOMING NOVEL RELEASE - THREE DAYS WITH ADRIANNA

Thursday 21 March 2024 / Leave a Comment

 


Here's the updated cover art for Neil Randall's new novel Three Days with Adrianna. Watch this space for more details about the release date for this truly twisted revenge thriller. 

For now, why not enjoy the opening chapter:

The Part About Adrianna

As soon as she walked into the shop, he knew she was Angie’s daughter. The likeness was scary. He could’ve been back at his old flat twenty-odd years ago, staring at her mum through a late-night cloud of second-hand smoke.

     “Are you Gary Talbot?” she asked, straight out.

      Instinct told him to say, ‘No, sorry, he’s away for a week’. But something held him back; something he could never really explain – over the years he’d always been such a convincing liar.

      “Yeah,” he said as casually as possible, placing the LPs he was about to price up down on the counter. Jesus, he thought to himself, she really is the spitting image of Ange, with the shiny coal-black hair, dark eyes, that rich Mediterranean colouring, she was even the same sort of height, not particularly tall but not particularly short, and had the same shapely, curvy figure. “How can I help you, love?”

      At first, she didn’t say anything. She just stood there, in this stylish navy-blue trouser-suit, looking all shy and unsure of herself.

      “Well, it’s not the easiest thing to…” she trailed off and lowered her eyes. “What I mean to say is I – I wanted to talk to you about – about…” and she broke down in floods of tears, just like that.

      Gary didn’t know what to do, whether to let her get it out of her system, or whether to try and comfort her in some way.

      “Hey, don’t cry.” He walked around the counter and tentatively put a hand on her shoulder. “Look. Why don’t I turn the closed sign ’round, eh? Pop the kettle on, and you can tell me all ’bout it, get whatever it is off’a your chest.”

***

“Yeah, you don’t half look like your mum,” he said, warily, unsure of how to approach the situation, how to act – friendly, serious, or defensive – he had no idea how much this girl knew, and what kinds of questions she wanted to ask. “And you say your name’s Adrianna, right?”

      She nodded and took a sip of tea from a faded Manchester United mug that had been through the dishwasher one time too many.

      “That’s right. Named after my great-grandmother, so I’ve been told.”

      After he’d brought the tea through, she’d confirmed what he already suspected: that she was Angie’s daughter. Now she’d pulled herself together, she came across as a really well-spoken girl, educated, polite, classy, a little intimidating, in the way attractive women can, without really trying. And in no way could he tell if she was hostile towards him or not.

      “Thing is, Gary, I never knew my real mum. I was brought up by foster parents. It was only a year or two back that I got in contact with my real grandmother. Since then, we’ve got to know each other quite well. I visit her every other week. And she’s told me a lot about my mum, important stuff, because it’s hard not knowing where you come from, not having any proper family, like reference points. All my adult life I’ve felt like there was something missing, you know?”

      And she went on tell Gary about her education and plans for the future, a first-class honours degree, something to do with the sciences, laboratory research, and how she’d landed herself a dream job in Melbourne, Australia, how she was going to emigrate, how this was literally her last few days in England. As she spoke, Gary nodded his head, said Yeah a few times, and smiled encouragingly, not really knowing why he was listening to all of this, or where it was heading.

      “So, as you can imagine, I might not be coming back to England any time soon. And I guess I want to know more about my mum before she died, what kind of person she was, what interests she had, what she did at weekends, just ordinary, everyday stuff. Here.” She reached into her slim, stylish leather handbag and pulled out an old cassette. “I bet you recognise this, right?”

      Gary took the cassette and turned it over in his hands.

      “Yeah,” he said, staring at his own scruffy handwriting on the track-list scribbled on the inlay cover. “Bloody wars! You’re going back a few years here. Look: Prodigy – Your Love, Zero B – Lock Up, Joey Beltram – Energy Flash, 2 Bad Mice – Bombscare, Krome and Time – This Sound is For the Underground. Ha!”

      “And you remember doing this tape for my mum?”

      Of course he remembered. Back then, Ange could only have been fourteen or fifteen years old. It was around the time they first started knocking about together, when she’d walk along the beach from town, where Gary and his best mate Goosey used to hang out, light a camp-fire, drink and smoke themselves silly, and blast out music on a battered old beat box. Ange knew they were bad boys, small town rebels, was attracted to older lads with a dubious reputation, always in trouble with the police. At first, they didn’t really like the idea of her leeching onto them. It could only lead to trouble, they told themselves, bring unwanted attention – an under-age girl cramping their style like that. But gradually, they got used to having her around, to seeing her trudging along the beach in her school uniform, got used to having a laugh and a joke (usually at her expense), getting this young bird so pissed and stoned she’d puke or pass out, taking advantage of her. ‘This music’s ace,’ she said to Gary one summer evening. ‘Can you do me a mix tape, one I can listen to at home?’ At the time, he was big into dance music, him and Goosey used to go to illegal raves up and down the country, and like most lads bang into his tunes, Gary prided himself on putting together the best mix tapes around.

      “You even wrote a little message on the back,” said Adrianna, pointing to the cassette in Gary’s hand. “If you turn the inlay cover over, you can see.”

      He did as she said, taking the cassette out and finding: To my very own little raver, Ange, E is the way forward. Drop as often as you can. Feel the love. Gaz scribbled inside. Gary almost winced at the blatant drug reference, sensing that this was perhaps the moment Adrianna would flip, go into one about the dangers of drugs, how this proved that he was somehow responsible for what happened to her mum.

      “Yeah, yeah,” he said slowly, putting the cassette back in the case and closing it. “They were, erm…different times back then, love, different music, different attitudes to stuff.”

      But she didn’t bring it up, shout at him, or appear in any way angry or upset.

      “Last year, I bought an old stereo at a car boot sale, one with a tape deck in it, just so I could listen to the tape.”

      “Really?” He handed the cassette case back to her. “What’d you think?”

      Adrianna shrugged and rolled her eyes. A light, friendly, amused, maybe even warm gesture, which made him feel a whole lot more comfortable.

      “Not really my kind of thing, a bit manic, a bit out there.”

      “Yeah, I s’pose. Then again, it’s probably generational. If you liked the stuff people my age were listening to back then, music would never move on, would it? It’d be stuck in a rut.”

      She nodded, shifted her weight, and slipped the cassette back into her handbag.

      “Look, Gary, the reason I came to see you is that I want to ask a favour. Like I said earlier, I want to know more about my real mum. I want to try and get a clearer picture of her in my head. I know she was no angel. And I know she did a lot of mad stuff before she had me, but it wouldn’t feel right – leaving the country, leaving everything behind, my roots and all that – without learning more about her life, where I came from.” She shot him a quick, anxious look. “So, what I’m going to suggest is this: I’m staying at a small hotel in town for the next few days, and wondered if you’d give me a tour of the area, you know, places my mum used to visit, her old haunts, if you like.”

      Gary tried to think of all kinds of excuses – work commitments, a family do up North, a fictitious doctor’s appointment – but none of them sounded particularly convincing in his head. Besides, Adrianna had a certain charm, a way about her that made it hard for him to refuse. For that reason, he found himself agreeing, saying that, although he hadn’t got much free time at the minute, with the shop and everything, he could take a few hours off here and there, could find a spare evening maybe, to do just that, to show Adrianna around town, to talk to her about her mum.

      “Really?” she beamed, flashing the whitest, straightest teeth he’d ever seen. “That’s so kind of you, Gary. It would mean the world to me.”

      “No problem.”

      “So, we can meet here, at the shop, tomorrow, late morning, yeah? And you’ll show me around?”

If you've liked what you've read so far, why not check out Neil Randall's amazon page?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top